Sunday, October 25, 2009

Should I stop using the Depo-Provera shot?

I'm currently on the depo shot and when i got my first injection,my arm was sore for about 2 days.Well i am due for another this week and the same arm and spot has been sore for about 3 days.I've been careful not to lay on it and not to use it much.Could this be related to the shot in anyway and is it normal?
Answer:
I used Depo shot a while ago for like 5 years. The same thing would happen to me. My upper arm would get sore and sometimes the entire arm. It would just last a day or two. I would try taking ibuprofrin for help with swelling and switch between arms. Do your one arm one month and next time use the other, so they're not sticking the same arm each time. I loved when I was on the shot, I never had a period. Then I went off it to try to get pregnant.
Stop using the shot.
I've been on the shot for 2 years and I have not known them to give it in your arm. In my Dr's office they give it inbetween your back and your butt. It's usually sore for a few hours maybe...ask them if they can give it to you there instead. Also right after they inject it rub it really hard around in cirlces for a minute. This helps spread the fluid since the depo fluid is so thick, if you spread the fluid around it will hurt less...good luck
Of course your arm is going to be sore for a while because youre getting a needle in your arm, but its not unbearable pain. If you cannot handle the arm pain, you can also recieve the injection in your hip. Theres more fat there and it shouldnt hurt so bad or be sore for a long period of time. Oh and one more thing.I noticed the girl that answered above me stated to rub the injection site in circles. You are not suppose to massage in circles right after the injection is given you are only suppose to apply pressure. Ive given these injections to patients and you are not suppose to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Skipping Period © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net