Saturday, October 31, 2009

Single dad here with 14 y.o. daughter?

My wife passed away 14 months ago. My 14 year old daughter got her period for the first time about 12 months ago. She appears to be fairly regular and handling it well. At what age is it normal to take her for a gyno visit? I have no other women in my life to go to with this. Thanks for the help.
Answer:
I'm 37 so it has been a while since I first started my period. When I started my Mom was going to take me for gyno visit but when she called for the appointment she was told as long as I wasn't sexually active or having any problems this was not necessary. I was 20 when I had my first gyno exam. I would talk to your daughter and let her know if she has any questions or thinks she may have a problem to come to you and if she feels uncomfortable telling you that you will find someone she can talk to. A good person for her to ask question to would be a gyno if she feels uncomfortable talking to you. If you haven't this is a good time to have a sex talk and let her know your thoughts on birth control and teen sex.
If she's getting her period she should have annual visits to the OBGYN. If your wife had one that she visited maybe you could take her there. Interview the OB first to make sure he /she has decent bedside manner.

I'm sorry on your loss. I bet your a great dad.

Blessings!

PS...DO NOT WAIT! Women's health is important. You don't have to rush her to the Doctor but an annual exam is important if she's cycling.
i would take her as soon as possible, then just ask the doctor when and any other questions you may have. nobody better to ask than a female doctor
Well if shes handling it well why take her to a gyno..i think shes too young for that..I think a more appropriate age is about 16 or 18..Don't worry about it..its personal instinct..she'll handle it well!
http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_detai...
It honestly depends...It's pretty much when she is ready, I think...and BEFORE she starts (I know you hate to hear it) having sex. I think 14 is too young, but ask her how she feels about it... but, since you are a single dad, going to the gyno may be a good idea so she can have someone to ask questions that God knows she wont ask you.
Hope it helps
At what age is it normal to take her for a gyno visit?

hmm,i didnt go for one,is this something that people do these days?
i mean,as long as she has no problems down there,i mean infection and so on.
sorry i couldnt be of any help.maybe you can telephone them and ask,if it was nessercery
good luck to you and your daughter
Usually when she is sexually active, of course she may not tell you this. Suggest that she talk to one of her friends' mooms or an auntie or cousin if she has a prblem or question and just let her know that you won't be hurt if she doesn't ask you for help. If she has had her periods for 12 months, chances are she is coping fine. I found that the Being Girl website cleared up any problems I had. Hope this helps xXx
Perhaps it would be a good idea to get involved with a "young woman's association" or one of those "big sister" programs...

It is important to have a WOMAN element in the upbringing of such a child as you reference. The school-system(public) should have some sort of program that you and YOUR DAUGHTER primarilly, can be a part of.

www.link.20fr.com
Females don't really need a gyne unless there is some type of "female" problem. She should get yearly check ups with your family doctor just to be on the safe side.
i'm no pro on issues like this, but i have always heard that a girl doesn't need to go to a gynocologist until she starts having sex.unless, obviously, she finds something abnormal. but i think most girls start going to the gynocologist around the age of 19. i think it's safe to say that your daughter is way too young at this point. in fact, i'm 21 and i'm going for my first visit in a week.
Soon...before she's sexually active.
She really doesn't have to go to the gyno until she's 18 or starts having sex.
I would say in 6 months to a year. Let her decide when she's ready.
I would make an appointment with your family Dr. and discuss with him/her. I know that at 14 I would have been devastated to go to a gyno... I would think 15 or 16 would be a more appropriate age as long as there doesn't seem to be any issues with it. You do need to have the discussion with her if you do decide to take her there, keep communication open. You're doing a great job and you obviously care a lot... keep it up and I wish the best for you.
I'm so sorry about your wife.

Unless she's having a problem or she (I hate to say it) starts having sex, then she needs to go right away. Otherwise, she doesn't need to go until she is 18. I hope she is still a virgin at that age.
I'd say around 16...unless you have not had a talk to her about sex.. and obstaining from it.then I'd find a lady doc and talk to her first, if you think she can do the job, and you can't... ( go with your gut feelings) then tell the doc what you want...the sex talk;;; and take your daughter in to see her.good luck.be a dad ...not just her friend, and you'll be just fine. I'll keep the 2 of you in my prays. Also take her in right away if she has really bad cramps, heavy bleeding or no period..
I'm sorry for your loss. the only thing i can tell you is that i'm 18 and i've never been to the gyno, my doctor said i don't need a pap until i'm 20. i'd say have her check herself everyonce in a while for anything out of the ordinary, and if all is well she shouldn't have to see one until 18-20.
I am sorry about your loss. It sounds like you are a great dad. It's nice to hear that you are concerned about your daughter's health.

I started my period when I was 14, but I didn't go to the gyno until I was 18. It is important to have a check-up at the age of 18 just to make sure everything is alright. From then on, I have gone every other year. There is no reason to go yearly until you are sexually active, or if there seems to be a problem, such as abnormal pain or abnormal periods.

Good luck! :) Keep up the good work
John H, unless if you know for sure that you're Daughter isn't sexually active, there's no need for her to see a Gyn just yet.
Most young Women start seeing a Gyn at the age of sixteen or when they become sexually active.
I'm hoping that she's open with you enough so you can know exactly when to take her. Though, if you want to make sure that she continues to regulate on time, if she has problems during menstruating and if she has questions that you do not feel comfortable answering or do not know the answer to, you can take her to see a Gyn.
I hope this helps. You're an awesome and caring Dad.
Well, I can tell you from personal experience here.

I started seeing a gyno when I was 15. I was still a virgin, and I was not planning on having sex any time soon, but my mother thought it was a good idea to get me into regular visits with a doc. I got my period when I was 12, and my mom didnt see any reason when I was that young to take me to a doc at that point. Anytime now would be good to take her for her very first annual appointment. She needs to go at least once a year to make sure everything is ok in that area, and my mom made me go once every 6 months after she found out I was having sex. When I first went to the doc when I was 15, she also recommended I go on the Birth Control pill because before my period every month, my breasts would hurt so much, and the cramps were horrible, so she said it would not happen anymore if I got on the pill, it would not only regulate my period, so that I could predict it every month, but it would also make my periods lighter and shorter. It helped, so dont be freaked out if your daughter comes out with a script for birth control. Dont jump to conclusions, it doesnt mean that she is going to have sex or is already having sex. Girls are tough. I know, I was a pain in the *** when I was a teen. Good luck, and let anyone of us know if there is anything else we can do for you. I, for one, would be more than happy to help you with anything when it comes to daughters
I went to my first gyno appointment when i was 14. So any time is good. Sorry about your lose
now, and as much as you may dread this you should also consider putting her on some type of birth control. she may nopt be sexually active but just in case if she is it will prevent unwanted pregnancies. and the pill also helps reduce menstrual cramps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Skipping Period © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net