Sunday, October 25, 2009

Side-Effects of taking Anti-Depressants...?

I am taking 1/2 a pill of an anti-depressant to help my Irribitable Bowel Syndrome. I guess I have a nervous stomach, but because it is alot cheaper and less side-effects of the official IBS medication, my doctor suggested I take 1/2 pill of the anti depressnt called Amitriptyline.

What are some changes that I will notice? Besdies not being sick from my stomach?
Answer:
Antidepressants can often cause side effects, and an inability to tolerate these is the most common cause of discontinuing an otherwise working medication.

Side effects of SSRIs: Nausea, diarrhea, headaches. Sexual side effects are also common with SSRIs, such as loss of libido, failure to reach orgasm and erectile problems. Seratonergic syndrome is also a worrying condition associated with the use of SSRIs.

Side effects of TCAs (tricyclic antidepressants): Fairly common side effects include dry mouth, blurred vision, drowsiness, dizziness, tremors, sexual problems, skin rash, and weight gain or loss.

Read more from the link below:
I suffer from IBS too but have never been offered an anti depressant to help. I take a product called mintes, the mint is meant to soothe your tummy and it does work for me..but if im desperate and have no mintec then i just suck on some normal mints..personally i prefer spearmint

Good luck
Amitriptyline, aka Elavil, is only designed for use over the short term, it is highly addictive, so be careful in it's use. As for your irritable bowel syndrome, have you tried Bentyl? I find it very effective in controlling mine, and it is safe to use over the long term. (it is also inexpensive)
Elavil can give you dry mouth, it can increase your appetite, it can make you very sleepy and tired during the day.
Hmmmm. Well, I took amytriptyline for many years, although it was being used as a preventative for migraine headaches. It didn't provide much help, by the way.

I've been on one antidepressant or another for about 30 years. I'm female. My desire for sex is the same, however I haven't had an orgasm in at least 5 years ... maybe 10.

It makes me a little sad to have this side effect, but I suppose I'm willing for the tradeoff. I don't want to jump off a skyscraper anymore ...

It doesn't sound like you are taking enough to see any side effects.
I took elavil to help prevent migraines and it just made me really tired but anti depressants act differently on everyone. I take levbid (hyoscymaine sulfate) for my IBS and have had no side effects and is less than 15 bucks a month

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Skipping Period © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net