Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sleepy all the time, even though I get enough rest. Can anyone help??

I am 29 years old and a stay at home mother. I get about 7-8 hours of restful sleep a night (no sleep apnea) but I still feel sleepy throughout the day. Last time I went to the doc (6 months ago) blood sugar and thyroid were normal, and I take my women's vitamin with Iron faithfully. I limit caffeine and sugar and drink good stuff like decaf tea and water.

Is it possible I need more sleep than I'm getting? When I take an afternoon nap I feel better but then I don't get my housework done while my toddlers are sleeping! I hate wasting part of my afternoon on a nap. Any suggestions on what might be causing my sleepiness?

Thanks.

P.S. I am not pregnant - checked that already. LOL
Answer:
How old is your mattress? A better bed can make the same hours of sleep feel so much more restful. I sleep soundly whether I crash on the couch or the bed, but I feel a lot more tired the next day when I slept on the couch. If your mattress is eight years old, it might be time for a new one.

I don't think you'd have a problem with a little caffeine in the late morning, as long as you don't overdo it, but medical opinions vary on that--try it and do what feels right for your body.

Depression, boredom, or lack of exercise could be factors, but I doubt it--you would have figured it out if it were one of those. I'm betting that you need a new bed.
you could be getting too much
get some excercise
Perhaps you have low blood iron.
If you need to nap, then you need to nap.

What I would do is to take a nap when your toddlers are sleeping and after they go to bed for the night, do a basic clean-up. Save the big cleaning for the weekend.

It's probably your body just saying that you need more sleep!
um the only thing that would cause this is malnutrition and dehydration. drink a lot of water.
Yes, well, try sleeping in a bit longer, unless you have a job: then go to sleep earlier. If naps help, take more of them. Try to get your husband to take care of the kids for a day while you take your rest. Then, if nothing happens, tell your doctor. He may perscribe some medicine (but do not take it with alcohol).
Your headed toward your thirties You stamina is not what it use to be when you were 19. You need to get a fitness program to help keep your metabolism running at full speed. It is harder to maintain your shape when in your in your mid thirties because your body starts to slow down. Keep a jump on it and stay active. Eat clean and healthy and your energy will come back to you.
Some people need up to 10 hours of sleep, my body likes 9. I get 7 1/2 every night and feel sleepy all day. You could try light to moderate excercise, I've been told that helps (as if having toddlers isn't excercise!).

How long has this been going on? If it's only been a week, you may be about to get sick.
try getting more exercise and try 8 hours.
Yes, you may need more sleep than others, everyone is different. But you may need to exercise more!! Or maybe you're a little depressed ? That could cause it too.
I would think it's possibly mono(haha...the kissing disease). i had it and the first symptom was sleepy all the time.
Maybe you need a better mattress because you may be tossing in your sleep and not getting a full nights sleep. Mattress Wrold's 2006 models are now on sale. I bought one for $400 off
Umm well maybe you should drink more coffee or something. You dont have to put sugar or anything in it so its not unhealthy. Or you can get a new matress. I heard that the tempeix matress makes you feel like you get more hours of sleep than you acutally get.
If you can, try getting a babysitter one morning. Maybe when your husband leaves for work, a babysitter can come in.

Let yourself sleep without waking up to an alarm (hence the babysitter to care for the kids until you do wake up). That will tell you how much sleep you need. Do it on a night when you haven't done something to make you more sleepy (like a zoo trip lol), make it just on a normal night.

Some people only need 7-8 hours. Other people need 9-10. When are you feeling sleepy during the day, your brain is telling you that are you are not getting enough sleep, or you are getting too much sleep. Yes, it's possible that 7 hours is too much for you. I have a friend who goes to bed at 8 PM every night (she's a senior in high school) and wakes up on her own at 6 AM because she has learned how much sleep her body needs to work properly... even if it is 10 whole hours!
Relax your body maybe tired but your brain does not feel tires. I would take a nap every other day. maybe get some help around the house. Take a vacation and leave the kids with grandma or anyone you trust.
Your body may also be in a turn down state.
Go out running or do some excersise and see if that doesnt wake you up
Maybe you are not sleeping comfortably. Or maybe you are not fully awakening your body for the day. Have you tried starting your day with a 15-20 minute awakening yoga routine? Are you eating too much so that your body is expending all energy to digest? Look into eating foods that will give you energy.
Just from experience may not be your problem. But if the doctors dont think it is not your iron, thyroid, or blood sugar. It just that you are home all day with the kids. getting a break once in a while by taking the to someone else. (mothers day out or drop in) and do something for your self even if it is sleep.
I think it's caused by stress. I'm pretty sure being a stay at home mother.. or any kind of mother in general, is enough to cause a ton of stress. Toddlers tend to tire you out with all of their uber insane amounts of energy regardless of what age you are, lol.
Could be your anemic and you need more Iron.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/commo...

This might help.Take care and may God bless you Spiritually
You may have low iron. Try eating more bananas! I understand what your going through! I also always have unfinished housework due to me napping w/ my son. If and when I see my doctor..I'm gonna ask him for some suggestions..and I keep in contact! I have not having any energy!
Did your doctor check your vitimin levels? I know that a vitimin deficency can cause tiredness. I always suggest checking with your doctor about increasing vitimins above and beyond a multi, since you can overdose on certian vitimins.
Was your iron level (hemoglobin) normal? I know you're taking iron, but it can still not be enough.

Also see about Vitamin B-12. You could try taking an extra supplement of vitamin B-12. I am deficient due to having Crohn's disease (immune system damages my small intestine) and my body does not absorb the vitamin properly, so I do injections. Here is some B-12 info:

"Vitamin B12's primary functions are in the formation of red blood cells and the maintenence of a healthy nervous system. B12 is necessary for the rapid synthesis of DNA during cell division. This is especially important in tissues where cells are dividing rapidly, particularly the bone marrow tissues responsible for red blood cell formation. If B12 deficiency occurs, DNA production is disrupted and abnormal cells called megaloblasts occur. **This results in anaemia. Symptoms include excessive tiredness, breathlessness, listlessness, pallor, and poor resistance to infection."

I wouldn't stop until there is some answer. I know that some have what is considered a "normal" thyroid test, but it's on the low end of normal and needs to be treated. You should get your records from your doctor (or at least a copy of your lab results with all the numbers) and see where you're at.

This site has some excellent information about lab tests and normal results, etc http://www.labtestsonline.org/

Good luck.
Maybe you have Mononucleosis.I have it right this second.Go and check with your doctor!!
its sleep disorder.
im talking medicine for it.
i made all this tests you have made and i took a lot of vitamins.
now im talking tricycle antidepressant which increases nor-epinphrene and your heart rate.
doctor may give you stimulant drugs but i dont advice. take drugs with less side effects
If a nap makes you feel better that may be what you need to do, I never take naps but a few days ago I was sooo tired and took one and I felt soo much better. It does kinda suck that you can't get the chores done during that time, but ur body is more important than chores. You can try sleeping less,maybe you get too much sleep, if that don't work than try sleeping an hour later- if that's possible since you have children. Exercise should also help, kids do where you out more so thats another reason probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Skipping Period © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net